IQF Rising Star 2019

People say to me, “You’re everywhere! You’ve just taken off!” And I think to myself. Yes. This is true. After 20 years of dedicated focus at my sewing machine a few people out there know who I am. Thank you.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e755

I am eternally grateful for all of the recognition my work has gotten in the last few years, BUT this did not happen over night.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e703

The truth is that most “stars” work for a very long time before anything happens.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e719

Hence, when I was invited to be a Rising Star at the 2019 International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas. I felt a bit sheepish. Am I Rising Star? And then I thought, to heck with that, HELL yes. I want to have a special exhibition at the IQF Houston.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e725

The hard work to put together all of this exhibition happened back in June, so it wasn’t really on my radar at all until I got to the show.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e731

But when I walked through the exhibition on Sunday of Quilt Market, I was overwhelmed by seeing all of my work together at this iconic event. It was INCREDIBLE!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e723

I kind of went nuts with having photos of me at the event, but you know, how often does this happen?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e793

I gave several gallery tours that were surprisingly well attended.

Maria Rising Star #5

The exhibition featured some of my very first quilts.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e709

It was so cool to see them all together. You can see the complete selection of quilts that were featured in the exhibition in this slide show. (If the slide show doesn’t work for you,  just scroll down to the bottom and you can view them there.)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

And then, before you could say International Quilt Festival three times fast, it was over.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e60e

The white gloves were brought out.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e629

I got a peak at how the Festival handles installing and taking down almost 4,000 quilts.

ecbN5YBBRluI1Q5OHDZ8sw_thumb_1e62b

The simple answer—VERY carefully.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e61d

It was an amazing moment in my quilting life.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e792

I am very grateful to Karey Bresenhan (founder of IQF) who selected my work for this exhibition, Becky Navarro (Special Exhibitions Manager for the show), and Aurifil Thread (Sponsor of the Rising Star Exhibition). AND to everyone who helped me photograph the exhibition, attended the gallery talks, and stopped by to say hello. It was wonderful to share this moment in time with you.

Thank you folks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the show.

This entry was published on November 24, 2019 at 2:21 PM. It’s filed under Exhibition News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

47 thoughts on “IQF Rising Star 2019

1. Very nice. Congratulations.

Mary

2. Sandi Nyren on said:

Congratulations Maria, WOW!

3. Congratulations! How exciting. Tricia

Liked by 1 person

4. But how lovely to be an ‘overnight success’ despite the number of nights! Your journey inspires so many of us. Can’t wait to see what’s next ✂️🧵❤️

Liked by 1 person

5. CONGRATULATIONS! So exciting. deserving, and rewarding to be a special exhibit at the big show. So happy for you.

Liked by 1 person

6. Kudos to you, my crazy-busy friend, this is so well deserved.

7. Cindy Bollinger on said:

Congratulations Maria! What a thrill to have a “Rising Star” exhibit in Houston. You are everywhere these days and that is accomplished by hard work, perseverance and sacrifice. You earned it! So proud of you! Cindy from Texas

8. bbollinger@hot.rr.com on said:

Hi

This is my plaid from Rad Plaid class in Houston. I enjoyed the class as well as linear blocks! I always learn many new things and can’t wait to get back home and practice it all! It was good to see you again. I love the colors but need work on getting things to line up better.

Cindy from Texas

—————————————–

Liked by 1 person

9. Congratulations Maria, what an honour for you which is definitely well deserved. It looks like a fabulous display of your quilts, thanks for sharing the photos and story. I’m seeing you and your quilts everywhere these days which makes me happy as I’m a big fan of yours.

10. Patricia Seager on said:

Congratulations!! All that hard work paid off.

11. Sally Wright on said:

So proud to know you! Wish I could have seen your exhibit in Houston but it wasn’t in the cards this year. My son and daughter in law were visiting us in California.

Sally Wright

12. Get Stitchy with Sarah on said:

This is HUGE! Congratulations.

13. Janequiltsslowly on said:

What an amazing body of work! Your honor was well earned. Congratulations!

14. Congratulations. Those hours and hours of work show

Liked by 1 person

15. Congratulations on this achievement and show. I hadn’t thought of you as a rising star, as I thought you had already risen, but so nice for you to have that recognition.

Liked by 1 person

16. What a special moment in your quilting life! Your talent, vision, skill, and artistic voice express themselves so wonderfully here. You’re a star in my book. Congratulations!

17. Diane Muldoon on said:

So wonderful…for both you and for all of us..a big congratulations..

18. Mickey Beebe on said:

Congratulations! You deserve it!

19. So proud of you Maria! 👍🏻

Liked by 1 person

20. So amazing. You deserve it. Congratulations, Maria!

21. Wonderful! Congratulations!

22. Janet Constable Rushant on said:

Congratulations! You are a star!!

23. You are a star–still rising, no end in site. Congratulations on your show. Proud to say I knew you back when you were beginning to rise.

24. No end in SIGHT.