I don’t know if any of you have noticed that since I started blogging, I have shown very little new work. Almost all my posts are about old work. If it is new; it’s a sweater.
The reason I haven’t been producing is because we have been renovating my studio for the last three months.
My first studio, if you could call it that, was our laundry room in Valdez. It was really a glorified closet, but it was mine and all in all the set up was quite good. Where the washer and dryer were originally situated, I had a cutting table and storage. There was also broom closet where Walt built shelves for storing yardage.
I had a little table with my sewing machine and a design wall on the back of the door. The crazy thing was that this little room was also the entrance to our home from the garage. There was constant traffic in and out of the room. But like I said, it was mine. There are no photos of that space–it was too small to photograph.
When we moved from Valdez to Anchorage, we knew we needed room for me to have a long arm quilting machine. Ideally the space would be on the front of the house, so clients could drop off and pick up quilts without having to wade through all of Tripp’s Lego creations.
This studio was highly functional but not particularly glamourous. Everything was labeled and stored on Gorilla Racks. My sewing table was an old desk. My design walls hung from the Gorilla Racks. It worked.
As my work evolved I needed a larger staging areas for auditioning fabrics, I needed bigger design walls, I needed a new storage system for my fabrics, sweaters and felted wool.
This winter Walt and I started the excruciating process of creating a studio environment that met those needs. This was a long painful experience. I see potential in the smallest scrap of fabric or wool. I have a very difficult time throwing anything away that I might later be able to stitch together.
If I am going to hold on to everything, I need to find a proper way to store it. For the month of December I made sweaters and told Walt I was cleaning. For January, I blogged and made myself work for couple of hours a day on the studio, and of course I made sweaters. February was my reality check. I needed to start making quilts again, and in order to do that I had to get my studio in order.
And now, at the end of the first week in March, I am happy to say that while my studio it is not completely finished, it is once again a fully functioning space.
I can’t wait to get back into my studio and start making things!
I shared this post on Nina Marie’s Blog as part of her year long look into other artist’s studios. It’s a great way to see what other artist’s spaces look like.