You’ve probably noticed by now that I have a problem with deadlines especially self-imposed ones. Real-Real deadlines I usually manage to make at the very last absolutely possible minute. Self-imposed deadlines not so much.
I mean what is going to happen if I fail? The sun will rise, the snow will melt, and my road will turn into a river like it does every Break Up season.
But, now that I have created these self-imposed deadlines concerning sweaters, I’ve got a small problem. Each month there is woman who has committed to working with me on creating a new sweater design in exchange for a sweater. If I fail, they don’t get their sweater, and that just isn’t very fair or nice.
After I finished making my spring frock, I got down to the serious business of completing Ms. February’s sweater. You can read about Ms. February aka Mereidi Liebner in the post I wrote about her back in February.
Yes, she has been waiting very patiently for way to long.
Here is the palette I selected.
Then I started stitching. Everything was going great. I had adjusted my dress form to Mereidi’s measurements, and I was constantly checking my work on the dress form. Mereidi is quiet slender, and I was afraid I would get the proportions wrong. So I was trying to be super sensitive to measurements.
I finished the sweater, put it on the dress form and was pretty darn pleased. I then once again checked Mereidi’s measurements. the best way to express how I felt at this moment might be to let loose a row of cartoon expletives. While I had done an excellent job of referencing not the bust and waist measurements but I was a complete failure concerning the shoulders measurement. Mereidi has very athletic shoulders, and this aspect of my dress form cannot be modified.
The only thing to do was to sleep on it. I was so upset with myself that I forgot to take pictures of the finished sweater.
The next day, I had a plan. I really hoped it would work. If it didn’t, it would mean that I would have to start over with a new palette, and I really did not want to do that.
Here is what happened.
It worked. Now the only thing left to do was to consider the neckline. Mereidi likes interesting necklines, and I was aiming to please.
In the end I decided to go with one color for the neck mainly because I did not want to get myself into another construction pickle.
The next day Mereidii visited my studio to try on her new sweater.
That was so much fun I think I will do it again.
It’s Friday so that means there are lots of fun posts on Nina-Marie’s blog about what other artist have been doing this week. Check it out.