In yesterday’s blog post, I was half way through a Sets and Variables III class with Nancy Crow at the Crow Barn.
I had just been told to start over. And so I did.
Here is my new sketch. Instead of going and making smaller bits, I went bigger and blew up my motif. This was a much better decision. I think it’s going work.
Part of why I write this blog is to tell stories and entertain you. I really do hope I make you laugh at times. It is for this reason I am including these photos. They are a little bit embarrassing, but just too funny not to share. I am not even sure who took them, but if you have ever had to give a presentation at the Barn you will identify with the array of emotions I display.
The small blue bits on the wall became Ablation.
Because I have been working on a Color Grid series, I kept thinking I needed to rigidly grid the quilt out like this.
In fact, when I once again put Fruit Salad up on the wall this winter. I decided–this quilt is done. Do it. Stitch it up.
A painted canvas may have all kinds of wild gestural marks on it, but the edges are clean and firm. And that is what I want for my quilts as well. So I needed to take Fruit Salad and clean up the edges. This is never a fun task.
I had to rebuild the quilt and create cleaner lines. Some sections were gently trimmed down, while others were expanded.
To recreate the new and improved lines, I first remove the stitching. Then I cut the new line. Here I have cut the new line on the red, green, and black portion of the quilt. I then use that new line as my ruler.
Here are the remains of that work.
And ready to be hung at the Bunnell Street Arts Center for Cut Stitch Press.
PS I’m sharing this post on Nina-Marie’s Blog where you can find out what stitchers from around the world have been doing this week.